In the previous article (link here), we shared knowledge on the theory of 5 elements and how they manifest in the universe and within us. Carrying forward from Earth element, in this article we explain Water and Fire element.
- Ap-Jal/ Water:
Constantly changing and always evolving, the element that brings flexibility to the rigid structure of Earth is Water. The second-last to manifest, Water element is responsible for the cohesive movement within the body without which it would be solid matter like a rock and inorganic in nature. All life depends on water, hence water is the very basis of the organic self being born in inorganic matter.
The idea of Self or Ego thrives in the birthing pools of Water. Water element forms the ego-complex of the Swadhistana Chakra, and like Water, Ego has no substantiality and is in constant flow. The idea of the self is different at the age of 5, 15, 25 and 45, for example. In fact, these big changes in the idea of the self are comprised of thousands of small changes. These changes to the self are happening every hour, every moment.
The primary idea of self is its gender. Gender is the very first reference frame for any individual which stays till his/her death. The idea of gender identity and sexual desires is controlled by the element of Water.
Easily moved and is highly impressionable, a water dominant character can be easily manipulated. Water overcomes all obstacles with ease; rivers make their way around rocks. Similarly, Water character is extremely pliable and flexible in its way of being and can very easily adapt to almost any situation. Water character is jovial and has many friends. However, they lack the strength of character and intensity. Water dominant character tends to more attached than others due to the stickiness of Water.
- Keep both legs straight
- Flex the toes, pointing them towards the head
- Keep the buttocks evenly balanced on the floor
- Keep the chest open, back straight and stomach collapsed while bending down
- If the forehead does not touch the leg, gaze at the toes
- Improves the flexibility of the lumbar region, the hips and thigh (back side of thighs and calves).
- Massages and tones the abdominal and pelvis region affecting liver, pancreas, kidneys, adrenals, spleen and intestines.
- Improves the blood circulation in the dorsal region and tones the spinal nerves.
- Improves alignment of the vertebral column.
- Eka Pada Raja Kapotasana
- Bend the hind leg at the knee, toe pointing upwards
- Grab the toes with both palms, elbow pointing up
- Open up the chest
- Arch the back
- Keep the head back and gaze at the ceiling
- stretches the quadriceps,
- tones the groins
- releases and frees the psoas muscle area
- stimulates the abdominal organs.
- Agni/ Fire:
That which burns all, without prejudice, without discernment, intense in the extreme, in fact the very essence of all consuming intensity, is Fire. The intensity of Fire fuels the power of Action (Kriya Shakti). Perhaps the most important element of all, Fire is the sustainer of life.
The Fire dominant character, intense and spontaneous, is someone you don’t want to provoke. Unchecked Fire leads to bouts of anger and recklessness. It is Fire that drives the intention of leaders and innovators of our time. Passionate and intelligent, a balanced Fire character is able to channelize his/her desires to higher planes. At times of non-burning, the fiery character has the danger of falling into depression and the lows. The Fire dominant character goes through maximum pain, highs and lows, in comparison to those dominated by the other elements.
- Keep the toes, heels, and legs together
- Place the palms well on the floor,
- The elbow is bent and raised from the floor (3-4”), close to the floating ribs (11th and 12th)
- Navel should touch the ground
- Keep the chin up
- Gaze at the centre/ meeting point of the eyebrows
- Cures acidity, indigestion and constipation.
- Improves the function of pancreas and the gall bladder.
- Helps to improve blood circulation.
- Effective in uterine disorder.
- Useful for those suffering from respiratory disorder such as asthma.
- Helps to remove backache and neck ache as well as keeping the spine supple and healthy. By arching the spine blood circulation is increased to that region toning the nerves along the spinal column and improving the communication between the brain and the rest of the body.
- Poorna Shalabhasana
- Raise both legs as high as possible.
- Keep the toes, heels, and legs together
- Keep the Arms straightened, under the stomach and palms on the floor
- Keep the chin pressed on the floor
- Gaze forwards
- Bend knees so as to touch the forehead with the toes
- Strengthens shoulders and arms
- Vitalises neck muscles
- Develops core power
- Develops dorsal muscles
- Releases quadricpes & hamstring muscles
- Sets the dislocated navel right, which could be the cause of pain in the stomach, loose motions or constipation
Content and Image ©AryaMarga Society